The story of Waterloo #1: The Ladies' Bridge

Waterloo Bridge, connecting our local neighbourhood to the other side of the Thames, was inaugurated in 1817. In the 1930s, the London County Council drew plans for a new bridge with construction kicking off in 1938. A significant number of the work force on this project were women, earning the bridge its nickname – The Ladies' Bridge.


The story of the women who built Waterloo Bridge has long been left out of our history books. Historian Chris Hall and film-maker Karen Livesey produced the documentary below telling the fuller story.



Find us at:

St John's Waterloo

Waterloo Road

London SE1 8TY

Presented by:

Presenting sponsor:

HB Reavis logo.jpg

Website design and illustrations:

Hart Club

David Bassadone